Wednesday 24 February 2010

The Other E-reader: Apple iPad












As promised in my last post re E-readers, here's the official Apple iPad trailer. If you can live through the OTT first 3 minutes as marketing reps gush about how you 'don't have to change to fit the product, the product changes to fit you', the presentation becomes much more practical in terms of the possibilities for use re education and of course, the all important mobility factor.

The iPad challenges Amazon's Kindle in the lucrative market of E-readers. Given the price of these E-readers, it remains to be seen whether they can actually be adequately utilised in education or remain the domain of those who can afford shiny new toys. I imagine that the opportunities for use in education and the development of EduApps are certainly a high possibility in the E-reader market, however we have yet to see something that really has the ability to make a difference (in terms of access - a key drive of education and social reform) and not just an amazing gadget that impacts upon the household/school budget.

Having said that, Apple are still on friendly terms with educators and continue to offer discounts to staff and students on their entire product range, but it would be nice (dare I say heart-warming?) to see an effort go into the development of delivery to those marginalised by what is increasingly looking like elitist shiny toy syndrome. Don't get me wrong, I'm an Apple fan from way back and I'd LOVE an iPad, but I find myself increasingly wondering when a company with Apple's resources is going to develop a technology for people in real educational need. I'm thinking here of the XO Laptop, of course, which currently has a programme for Haiti. However, I'm also a realist - I know that technology like the iPad or the XO for that matter, doesn't sow crops, provide clean drinking water, or assist women with small business loans to support their families and villages, but it would be a nice sea change if we could put a lot more consideration into the churning out of devices and apps.

No comments: