Thursday 29 April 2010

Overhead projectors & other Extinction Level Events












An extinction level event is usually classified as a catastrophic disaster in which the world as we know it is altered beyond our ability to survive the changes, indeed beyond the ability of other biologicals to survive the changes (and yes, I did make that word up). Think Tunguska and the end of dinosaurs and the subsequent arrival of the Ice Age. OK, yes, I am prone to exaggeration on the point of overhead projector removal at the University of Ballarat, and I haven't adequately demonstrated my rather tenuous link with extinction level events, but, hey, it seems like no one else in the University is listening to the people who still use these in classrooms. I'm not alone, I know of at least..er...one other staff member in my School who uses them on a regular basis. I feel like a dinosaur, a dinosaur waiting for the meteor strike. I'm a dinosaur on the edge!

Antiquated they might be (the overhead projectors, not dinosaurs like me) compared to mobile technologies but when you're modelling PHILO 1002 Logic & Reasoning on the fly, and have interactive lectures and tutorials in which student information needs to be added as you demonstrate, the old fashioned overhead projector is a winner. Plus I love using those snazzy coloured markers.

It's a technology that is already present, that is, you don't have to buy what you've already bought. It's reasonably reliable too, that is...if the bulb works, if the arm is still attached, if the power cord is still attached, if someone hasn't nicked off with it (like someone did 5 mins prior to my tutorial in week 5 - even though I had a legible A4 note on the glass plate) and if someone hasn't written all over the whiteboard with permanent marker...and done nothing about it. Ho-hum, back to the drawing board.

No comments: